Now that Valentines and Lupercalia are behind us, I’m betting at least a few of you have some roses to spare.
If they’ve begun to wilt, don’t throw them away!
Roses have lots of traditional power in the Craft. Here are a few ideas to put your wilting flowers to use.
1. Make rosewater. Making rosewater is an easy, satisfying 20-minute craft project. There are lots of tutorials on how to do it (check out Pinterest). Once you’ve made it, you can use it to anoint yourself with its protective properties.
2. Make a natural blush. Dry your roses by hanging them upside down, then use a mortar and pedestal to grind them into a fine powder. As you grind them, say a chant or incantation for love and wear the powder as a blush to attract a new romance.
3. Add them to an attraction bath. Draw a bath, add rose petals, a few drops of rose essential oil, a cup of fresh milk, and light some red or pink candles for a simple glamour spell to cultivate attractiveness. If you don’t want to deal with the mess of cleaning them out of your tub, wrap the petals in cheese cloth and let them “steep.” Divine!
4. Make an offering to Aphrodite. Toss the petals on a body of water (the ocean is traditional, but a lake or river will do) as an offering to the love goddess, Aphrodite.
5. Use the petals to stuff a love poppet. Like making poppets? Dried roses are a perfect addition to a love poppet.